STSADM Import – FataError

Recently I have been tasked to migrate a significant amount of content from a SharePoint 2007 Enterprise server to a SharePoint 2007 Standard server.    I decided that the simplest way would be to use the STSADM -export command on the source server and then import the content on the destination server using the STSADM -import command.   Sounded simple, but in practice became very difficult.
The first issue I encountered was related to the different features enabled on the enterprise server vs. the standard server.   I disabled all of the enterprise features (that I could find) on the source server and then proceeded with the export.   During the import process I kept getting errors indicating that some of the features are not found on the destination server.  Although I thought I had disabled all of the enterprise features the export still contained some references.    I re-ran the export again but this time using the -nofilecompression parameter.  This creates a directory with all of the export files.   In this directory I found a file called Requirements.xml.   This contains a list of all of the templates and features that are required by the sites and content exported from the source server.   I noticed that there were still references to enterprise features in this file although I had already disabled the enterprise features on the server.   To resolve this I manually removed the XML nodes related to the enterprise features that were preventing the import process to occur.   When I ran the import process on the destination server I no longer received errors related to missing features or templates.
The next issue I encountered was the following error during the import process
FatalError: Error in the application.
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPList.UpdateDirectoryManagementService(String oldAlias, String newAlias)
This error appeared on a calendar that was in one of the sites being exported.   After a bunch of digging, testing, and trial/error process I found out that the error was being thrown on lists or libraries that are email enabled.   I disabled the incoming email functionality on these lists on the source server, re-ran the export process.   When I imported the content on the destination server I no longer received the FatalError message.
To make sure everything on the destination server is configured properly I noted down the lists and incoming email addresses that were on the source server so I could reconfigure the destination server with the same settings.
I hope this helps someone else who runs into a similar export/import process.

0 thoughts on “STSADM Import – FataError”

  1. Hi Mike,
     
    I””m fighting for a week with sites transfer from one SharePoint to another (MOSS on the both servers are similar). 
    You know, SharePoint Designer is not an option. Tried with stsadm backup/restore and export/import.
    Seems that export/import only one correct way for me, but there is one problem… when I tried with -cabsize 1024 I received memory message error and offer to use -nofilecompression parameter
    I started with -nofilecompression parameter and a folder with export files was generated. Now I have a problem to import this directory. Could you give advice how can I run the import process using stsadmin and this folder, please?
     
    Thank you in advance!
  2. fd,
     
    There are many many possible causes for import failures.   I have been documenting the ones I run across, but I am sure there are many more errors that could be gerenrated that I just have not run across.   I wish there was a one size fits all solution but what I have found is that it just takes a lot of research, digging, and trial/error.
  3. This error just happened to me and I was unsure how I would fix it.  Did you just disable the email functionality on the source server temporarily?  Then just perform the export and re-enable the email functionality on the source server?
     
    Thanks for this post, may have saved me hours!
     
    -Malik
  4. In my case the email feature wasn””t really being used so we just disabled it for now.   Writting a small command line program to run through the all of the sites and save off a CSV file with the URL of the list and the email address works very well.   You can then automate the process of disabling the email functionality.  Use the CSV file as an input later when you want to automate turning on the incoming email again on those lists.
  5. fd – if you use the -nofilecompression during the export, you must use it as well for the import, and it should work for you (using the same -filename (even though it””s a folder) as you used during the export process.

    Hope that helps!
    ~SW

Leave a Reply